Monday, July 5, 2010

The insanity that is Project Diva Arcade

So for those who don't know, Project Diva is a PSP music game involving the popular vocaloid Hatsune Miku. It was pretty popular, and had pretty good sales. It was so popular, in fact, that they decided to make an arcade version. It just came out a couple weeks ago, June 25th to be precise.

Anyways, I figured "oh, it's out, I guess I'll try the game!" So I went to Sega Avion in denden town, and I walked in the arcade. Near the door, they had a big LCD tv set up showing a direct feed from one of the arcade machines. I walked toward where the setup was, and there were two machines. In between the two machines was another huge LCD screen showing the same thing as the other one. There was also a long line of people waiting to play. There were at least 10 people in line to play the game. Granted, it was release day, but it was way more popular than I thought!

The next day, Dan and I went to a Kyoto arcade and I saw it again. There, there was only one machine, and about 6-7 people waiting in line to play. It's crazy. It's such a long wait for only a couple of songs.

Skip to the following weekend and yet again, there's a long line of people waiting to play no matter where I go. Even at the two arcades in Sannomiya (Kobe) that have it, there were 3-4 people in line both times. I really want to play, but I don't want to have to wait in a line to play.

Then, this past sunday, something amazing happened. I was at Magical Space in Sannomiya, and there was a guy playing, but there was nobody in line behind him. Just as I started watching, he finishes his 2nd song and gets the game over screen. Without even trying, I have a chance to play!

I went and tried it out. It was pretty fun, a little difficult to get used to at first, but the graphics are amazing, and overall, it's just a lot of fun. I dunno how often I'll be able to play thanks to my dislike for waiting in line to play a game, but I'll definitely play it again if I get the chance! Who thought that a music game would be so popular? I look forward to seeing how well the game does ranking-wise.

1 comment:

Sibby said...

This month's entire Arcadia magazine was devoted to that thing.
Miku on the cover I did a double take.
At least there was an AH3 bust chart to balance out the sad lif...wait that just doubles it.